Many restaurants are closed for the day because of the polar vortex, but a surprising number of spots are staying open, with several offering extreme cold-weather specials. The Star Tribune's restaurant critic Rick Nelson has been collecting the offers on his Twitter account, catalogued as "This is how you battle -20 degrees," plus we've rounded up a few more specials, ranging from pizza to happy hour to ice cream (yes, ice cream).
This list will be updated throughout the day if we hear of any more polar vortex specials (or let us know of any in the comments).
· Chez Arnaud is offering 20% off all day with the passcode "Beat the Cold." (Open until 4 p.m.)
· All sandwiches at France 44 are $5.99 when the thermometer goes below zero.
· Rye Deli is extending its 20% off neighborhood deal night to everyone tonight—"We are all neighbors when it's this cold," says their Twitter. (Starts at 5 p.m.)
· Punch Pizza is taking 25% off all pizzas, dine-in, take-out, or par-baked.
· Moto-i is running happy hour from 2:20 p.m. to 2 a.m. today. "Somebody has to be open to make you feel awesome!" says their Twitter.
· Kids under 10 eat free all day today (with an adult purchase) at D'Amico and Sons.
· Common Roots is offering 20% off all purchases today.
· If you really want some ice cream in this weather, Sebastian Joe's is not only open, but also offering 25% off all ice cream (scoops, pints, quarts, and sandwiches).
· The Sample Room is offering a discount matching the number of degrees below zero (ie -18º means 18% off, etc.).
· The bar at Sapor Café is also offering a discount matching the number of degrees below zero (same example: -18º means 18% off).