As we enter the final few days of the Great Minnesota Get Together, the heat is on and the critics from all around town have weighed in on the best new and classic dishes to chow down on at the fair. Here is a quick crib sheet for every fair experience imaginable.
- The best new eats according to Dara Moskowitz Grumdahl, Stephanie March, Rick Nelson, Heavy Table and City Pages. The Pioneer Press let its readerspick the bests. Mpls./St. Paul Magazine made a handy Google map of all the new foods. Heavy Table created an app to find their picks.
- Bake like a winner. Stephanie March has the Blue Ribbon winning recipe for Elaine Jana's Apricot Cream Pie.
- Look for the good gluten free stuff? Here's a handy, downloadable map.
- Get to know the Corn King, serving fair-goers cobs for 30 years.
- Find the most useful fair apps, free wifi and power charging stations here.
- The Star Tribune gathers the best of the State Fair's ice cream and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Minnesota Public Radio sips the Minnesota wines available at the State Fair.
- The Minneapolis paper also dares to ask which state has the better fair: Minnesota or Iowa? (As if there was any question!)
- Ever wonder what the chefs like to order at the fair?
- Does the authenticity of a state fair dish matter?
- The 10 Essential State Fair dishes.
- Would you eat that? Bizarre food offerings at the fair.
- It doesn't have to be fried to be good. The best dishes that don't hit the grease.
- Ever wonder what it's like to be one of the first inside the gates?
- Indulge your inner food geek at the fair.
We want to know how your state fair experience is going! In the comments down below, tell us the best thing you've eaten, the weirdest thing you've seen and what you hope to cram in before the last summer weekend is over.