clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Refreshed and Remodeled: Highland Grill Has Reopened

The original Blue Plate restaurant has been brought into the modern age.

What's old is new again.
What's old is new again.
Photo courtesy Highland Grill Facebook page

It was the first restaurant launched by Stephanie Shimp and David Burley over twenty years ago. The two met when they were working as servers at the Nicollet Island Inn and were united in a mutual dream of one day opening their own restaurant. In 1993 a modern diner christened for the neighborhood it served first opened. In the ensuing years, Shimp and Burley have opened several neighborhood restaurants including The Lowry, Longfellow Grill, Groveland Tap, 3 Squares, Scusi, Edina Grill and The Freehouse.

Today the duo returned to where it all began for a symbolic ribbon cutting to re-open Highland Grill. The restaurant has been given a face lift. Gone are the shiny metallic booths, replaced with muted upholstery and the reflective neon green has been banished. The overall look is more rustic with farmhouse touches.

The menu favorites remain, from the pierogis to the turkey burger to the massive breakfast burrito, but look for new additions, like a selection of wine cocktails. All are now being served in a more Instagram-friendly background.

Highland Grill

771 Cleveland Avenue South, , MN 55116 (651) 690-1173 Visit Website

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Eater Twin Cities newsletter

The freshest news from the local food world